Music Education Forum of Singapore
Forum Home Forum Home > Piano Forum > Piano Hub
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trinity, ABRSM exam, which one better?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trinity, ABRSM exam, which one better?
    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 11:50pm
Someone told me that Trinity tends to require fewer scales, but then again one has scale studies and possibly you have to play all the required scales in your exam, not just the few an examiner picks out.
I think that with the variations in scales/pieces/aural tests the boards generally equal out. I know many people who've taken Trinity "because the aurals are easier", but I go and look at the aural syllabus on the website and some bits seem harder, it partly depends what you are used to. 
It’s very possible that one person could find the Trinity exam easier than another - it's equally possible that someone else might find the ABRSM exam easier.
There is more choice about the format of the exam in Trinity - the two types of ear tests, the viva vs memorisation - reading the syllabus was interesting. I do come across more people who have got distinctions/honours doing Trinity - but that may just bec because I only know a few people who've done Trinity exams and most of them I know through musical activities, hence they are more likely to be the kind of people to get higher marks.
I think the only probably advantage with ABRSM is that they are more widely taken and known, and have a very good reputation, but I think it would be unlikely that someone would be interested in interview you or auditioning you for uni only if you grade 8 was ABRSM or Trinity. Once you have got grade 8 certificate, they are more likely to hear your playing and see something beyond mere technical ability - they won't really care who issued your certificate!
lovepiano23 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovepiano23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 11:41am
Trinity College London (TCL) is an examinations board based in London, England, which offers graded and diploma qualifications (up to postgraduate level) across a range of disciplines in the performing arts and English language learning and teaching in over 70 countries worldwide.
The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) is an examinations board and registered charity based in London, UK, which provides examinations in music at centres around the world.

Based on the definitions, there seems no big differrnce for both Wink
pplu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:12pm
Examiners, students and teachers, what's the relationships? Teachers need to make their own thinking on-track with an examiner’s; students can see what it’s like to sit a piano exam and they can compare themselves to the performances in the videos. Examiners need to push both teachers and students to learn steadily and richly...
Lololo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lololo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 12:05am

At the top level of the Scale Challenge sheet young pianists are encouraged to play like musicians, with a sense of flow and purpose.
Having a consistent fingering pattern and the role of the thumb, about the technical aspects of scale playing, what follows is about building on these already firm foundations.
It might seem a bit of a paradox but, the technical elements often begin to fall in place more easily if we keep the idea of creating a beautiful sound to the forefront when teaching.
Many of you have heard me say before that teachers work FAR TOO HARD in lessons. In fact, many of us tend to put so much energy into teaching that we end up exhausted at the end of the week. Yet, they are slightly perplexed that the following week their students appear to hardly remember a thing about the previous lesson! I wonder why??
It is so important to get the students aware and motivated by what needs to improve. To do this they have to know what lies ahead – what they are aiming for.
I give my students Scale Challenge sheets which are divided into Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum levels.
The same statements are repeated for minor scales, contrary motion and broken chords. Breaking the learning and assessment process down into these really tiny steps means that all students have a tangible sense of the progress they are making and what needs to happen next.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic