Music Education Forum of Singapore
Forum Home Forum Home > Piano Forum > Piano Hub
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions about music theory exam, piano beginner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about music theory exam, piano beginner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:54pm

Learn and play A minor and nothing else for a month (just the sale; no chords). I've created a lot of loops with different rhythms and feels and sounds with just that scale. Instead of worrying about cramming my brain with chords and other scales and intervals and who knows what, I've been enjoying making music in one scale (and it feels like music on a feel/emotional level because I'm comfortable with the scale). Starting slow because it can be overwhelming. Once you know the combination it remains the same throughout the various keys. But don’t let theory get in the way of creativity. It can help and give you new tricks like transposition.

lili View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 6:02pm
A typical lesson plan is to get ONE concept through during one lesson. You might be able to teach the order of sharps in 30 seconds, but it will take the entire lesson for that idea to sink in and crystallize in the student's brain. And sometimes (okay, many times) it will take several lessons for ONE idea to sink in. I used to teach much smarter kids, so I tend to rush through ideas, but having worked with REALLY slow kids, I now teach very very VERY slowly.

Some instrumental teachers try to incorporate a bit of theory into each lesson right from the start, but many teachers don't teach it at all until the grade 5 exam looms. This is sometimes because they are not confident themselves, but often it's due to time restraints. It's difficult to fit much in when lessons are so short.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic