Music Education Forum of Singapore
Forum Home Forum Home > Piano Forum > Piano Hub
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Piano books for kids beginner, to take ABRSM exam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Piano books for kids beginner, to take ABRSM exam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gushiwen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gushiwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Piano books for kids beginner, to take ABRSM exam
    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 1:53pm
To prepare yourself for the piano lessons, the best thing that you can do, is to realize that it is, in fact. The piano learning is one which requires a strong commitment on your part to learn. Many students did not realize that making progress on the instrument requires daily practice, it is virtually impossible to progress by practicing once a week.
Concepts take time to settle in and be digested. Most piano teachers recommend practicing from 30 to 60 minutes per day. Practicing 3.5 hours, once a week, is not the same thing as 30 minutes per day. Even if you can get 15 minutes of practice in on busy days, that is better than nothing.
personal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote personal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 11:12am
My first year students might play really easy duets and learn some pop riffs. Given they take a week or two to master the pieces, there is less anxiety and frustration and the students can just play to enjoy. The idea of playing more pieces in a year than is required for an exam is all about breadth of repertoire and having fun.
JLLim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLLim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:52pm
Actually only a little amount of people can actually play and sight-read. Piano lessons with the purpose of examination have been associated with so many disappointments passed from one generation to another. This has had a negative impact on the development of music as a language, on music as a performing art and on the music industry in general.
Alice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:46pm
I recommend those pieces which are full of repeating patterns and scales, no acrobatic fingering required, fitting in the hands very nicely.
jqq888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jqq888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:42pm
For very small children, there is a set of Lesson books, also part of the Piano Adventures series, that is aimed at younger children.
They are known as "My First Piano Adventure" Books A, B, and C.

Personally, I prefer the Piano Adventure series over the other piano methods.
I know it really well and it is an old friend. I can anticipate which songs students are apt to have most trouble with, and which ones they will likely enjoy the most. Over the years I've developed "approaches" to each of the songs so that I can teach it most efficiently.
The pictures are not distracting, disturbing, or too goofy, as some other method illustrations have occasionally been. That's my own preference; I don't like to look at illustrations that seem stupid to me!
Some of the music is very pretty, some is exciting, and some is just cute and fun. Good music, in other words.
And yes, the most important reason: progression from one technical skill or tidbit of music theory to the next is logical and smooth. Very few of the piano pieces seem like a huge or unexpected leap.

Edited by jqq888 - 17 Oct 2018 at 12:42pm
Marcou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:35pm
My childhood piano teacher started everyone off with the same two books: John Thompson Grade 1, and A Dozen a Day.
What I did every time was to warm up with A Dozen a Day (finger exercises), and then proceed on to John Thompson (songs).
When we finished John Thompson Grade 2, she moved us on to Michael Aaron Grade 3, up to Grade 5. And beyond Grade 5 ... we'd work on books instead, particularly those from the Alfred Masterworks series (random book).
personal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote personal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:29pm
The following books are wonderful options for kid piano beginners.

John Thompson’s Easiest Piano Course
Thompson’s Easiest Piano Course is not an overstatement: this series of piano lessons is perfect for beginners. Thompson introduces each note in his book one at a time and reinforces his lessons with colorful illustrations and characters. This lesson book, complete with writing and reading assignments, is a great supplemental resource when working with a professional teacher one-on-one.

Alfred’s Basic Piano Course Lesson Series
The Alfred’s collection of piano books is incredibly popular with students of all ages. The Basic Piano Course lesson series progresses in small steps, so that the information is easy to replicate and remember. As the lessons progress, students will learn the names of the piano keys: first white, then black. As one of the most sought-after piano books for beginners on the market, this book is a sure step toward practical piano skills!

Edited by personal - 17 Oct 2018 at 12:30pm
StevenKoh View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenKoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Alice Alice wrote:

For the young beginners, I suggest to start with "My First Piano Adventure" series.

Written for ages 5 and 6, My First Piano Adventure® captures the child's playful spirit. Fun-filled songs, rhythm games and technique activities develop beginning keyboard skills. Three distinguishing features of the Lesson Book A make it unique and effective for the young 5-6 year old beginner.

Good advice. My First Piano Adventure can be checked from here
https://www.pianoshop.sg/en/search.asp?action=topsearch&Keywords=my+first+piano+adventure
Alice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 9:49pm
For the young beginners, I suggest to start with "My First Piano Adventure" series.

Written for ages 5 and 6, My First Piano Adventure® captures the child's playful spirit. Fun-filled songs, rhythm games and technique activities develop beginning keyboard skills. Three distinguishing features of the Lesson Book A make it unique and effective for the young 5-6 year old beginner. 1. A strong focus on technique embedded in the book through playful technique games, chants, and carefully-composed pieces that gently lead the child into pianistic motions. 2. An outstanding CD for the young student to listen, sing, tap, and play along with at the piano. The orchestrated songs on the CD feature children singing the lyrics, which has great appeal to the 5-6 year old beginner. The CD becomes a ready-made practice partner that guides the student and parent for all the pieces and activities in the books. 3. The fanciful art features five multi-cultural children who are also learning to play. These friends at the piano introduce basic rhythms, white key names, and a variety of white and black-key songs that span classical, folk, and blues. Young students will listen, sing, create, and play more musically with Nancy and Randall Faber s My First Piano Adventure, Lesson Book A. The Lesson Book introduces directional pre-reading, elementary music theory and technique with engaging songs, games, and creative discovery at the keyboard. Young students will enjoy the multi-cultural “friends at the piano” who introduce white-key names, basic rhythms, and a variety of songs which span classical, folk, and blues. Ear-training and eye-training are also part of the curriculum. The Fabers' instructional theory “ACE” - Analysis, Creativity, and Expression, guides the pedagogy of My First Piano Adventure. Analysis leads to understanding, creativity leads to self-discovery, and expression develops personal artistry. The CD for this book offers a unique listening experience with outstanding orchestrations and vocals. The recordings demonstrate a key principle of the course: when children listen, sing, tap, and move to their piano music, they play more musically.
Jessyyio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessyyio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:39pm
Josephine's books are very helpful. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic